Thursday, February 01, 2007

hiatus (and how smelling food makes flies die earlier)

After some thought, I've decided to put this blog on a hiatus of indefinite extent. It has been an enjoyable project, and I've learned a lot in the last year and a half, and accomplished many of the goals I set out for myself. Much of the reason I've decided not to continue this blog, at least in its current format, is that many of my goals are now being done much better by other people! Here are some blogs that I read and enjoy...

Some favorite food blogs:
Accidental Hedonist
Cooking for Engineers
Megnut
Slashfood

Some favorite science blogs:
Cognitive Daily
The Loom
Uncertain Principles
Language Log

Some favorite New York City blogs:
Curbed
StreetsBlog

(and, as always, my blogroll is publically available here.)

I'll still be cooking and taking photos (of food and other things). My photos are hosted at Zooomr, and feel free subscribe to my photo feed with the usual RSS tools. I'll try to link those photos to recipes, or otherwise to note the origin of the dishes in a comment.

I may restart this blog at some point in the future, perhaps with a different focus. But for now, thanks for reading!

And as a final science-of-food note, National Geographic has a story today about an article to be published tomorrow in Science.

Many animals—from monkeys to mice to microscopic worms—live longer when they eat less than their fill. ... The effect may occur because animals are genetically programmed with strategies for dealing with food shortages. During famines, for instance, they could put more their energy into repairing their bodies and living longer. But when a cornucopia of food abounds, the animals put their energy into making babies. At normal food levels, for example, flies live about 45 days. When they can eat as much as they want, the flies only last about 35 days. But when they're on the optimal diet, they live about 55 days—about 60 percent longer. The smell of food erased about a quarter of the gain they got from dieting, though.

(Emphasis mine...) So those harsh caloric-restriction diets are less effective if you're surrounded by the tasty smells of bacon, and baking bread, and sauteeing onions... How about that.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Chef Jeena said...

Hi , great blog here :)


visit jeena's kitchen healthy recipe blog

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Harlan... I saw somewhere that you utilize Eprime... I'm new to the software and I have a question for you- can you incorporate a Quicktime video into eprime?? like- can a slide come up and start the video then move on to a feedback slide and if so, can you share the process with me?? or link me to a site that will do so.
Sorry to contact you via a personal blog, but I'd greatly appreciate any help available.

Thank you so much!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Murasaki Shikibu said...

I just discovered your blog via your comment on Cooking for Engineers. I think you mentioned you sprinkled Szechuan Peppercorn Salt on some popcorn. I wish you'd start blogging again because I like your food blog a lot. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home